From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xmms alternative
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 04:05:24
1 > > f) it has no good alternative :-(
4 > it has. amarok, alsaplayer, xine....
5
6 [m3000][root][~] emerge --ask alsaplayer
7
8 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
9
10 Calculating dependencies
11 emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "alsaplayer".
12
13 OK guys, where is alsaplayer hiding?
14
15 xine ==> almost as bloated as Windows Media Player. I want a simple
16 *AUDIO PLAYER* dammit, not some honking big "multi-media" package that
17 takes forever to build. I've had problems building xine, and swear by
18 mplayer. I'd sooner use mplayer than xine.
19
20 amarok ==> Even worse than xine. It's a Windows Media Player wannabee
21 bloated frontend that ends up launching xine. In addition to building
22 xinelib, it also builds kde-base, ruby, and a bunch of other junk.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
26 My musings on technology and security at http://techsec.blog.ca
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list