From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel install target and firmware
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 07:25:34
1 On Sunday 28 Aug 2016 18:47:07 Tom H wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > It seems that without extra tweaking, running "make modules_install" in
4 > > a built gentoo-sources tree always results in the Linux supplied
5 > > firmware being reinstalled into /lib64/firmware. This is different from
6 > > debian and definitely not my preferred way; I like to keep the firmware
7 > > stable unless there is a tangible reason to update it.
8 > >
9 > > So, what is the extra tweak I need to apply to change this behavior? Is
10 > > there a kernel menuconfig option for this?
11 >
12 > Try INSTALL_FW_PATH=/lib/firmware/kern_ver
13
14 It would make sense that firmware installation takes place in a kernel specific
15 directory like /lib/modules/<kernel version> does and also removed with a
16 distclean option, so we don't have to clean after ourselves. Any reason this
17 is not so?
20 Regards,
21 Mick