From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what is overloaded my X server?
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:01:51
1 > I'm running the 2.6.31-gentoo-r6 kernel,
2 > xorg-server-1.6.5-r1 and  x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.11
3 > So, this is quite recent.
4
5 > Only killing X itself cures the problem.
6 > Of course, I have reemerged x11-base/xorg-server x11-drivers/ati-drivers
7 > and I have run revdep-rebuild.
8 >
9 > Probably I have to somehow compare every lib on the "faulty" machine
10 > to another once which should have identical packages.
11
12 Another thing you might try it to have X automatically reconfigure
13 itself. I find that my xorg.conf gets somewhat bloated from my manual
14 edits, lack of bad commenting, and trying lots of options. This
15 resulted in my machine loading a lot of modules, and I wasn't really
16 sure which ones i needed and which ones I enabled for what reasons
17 over the last three years since I compiled this machine.
18
19 Make a copy of xorg.conf....copy it to somewhere like /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
20
21 Then let it autoconfigure:
22
23 $ X -configure
24
25 That will make a temporary xorg.conf which you should move to /etc/X11
26 or ~/ depending on your setup. It could be that one of the modules
27 you're loading into X is the cause. I had done this recently as well
28 trying to solve my X processor problems, and it might be useful.
29
30 Alternatively, you can just comment out one-by-one any modules or
31 devices you're loading with xorg.conf and see if any of them are
32 responsible. It's more manual work than rebuilding all your
33 libraries, but it beats the hell out of re-emerging your whole system
34 on a guess....
35
36 Regards,
37 daid