From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: X11 from another machine
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 17:44:08
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 21 May 2007 17:22:39 +0000 (UTC) Grant Edwards
4 <grante@××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > > However, the usual way to use remote X-based programs is just to let
7 > > SSH do that. It can provide a tunnel for X. This is especially easy
8 > > if the remote SSH server daemon has set its "X11Forwarding"
9 > > configuration setting set to "yes" (otherwise, it is really a bit
10 > > harder and not suggested). Then, you just would connect using "ssh
11 > > -X user@host" and that's it, SSH will care for creating a socket on
12 > > the remote machine and set the DISPLAY variable accordingly.
13 >
14 > NB: I've found that using -Y instead of -X can speed up some
15 > applications by a factor of 50 or more.
16
17 well, I don't doubt you did experience it, but it sounds quite unlikely
18 (or like a bug). To be a bit picky: How did you measure that factor?
19 But you're right: In fact, some applications will probably work better
20 in "trusted" mode (see "ForwardX11" in ssh_config(5)). However, usually
21 applications are not supposed to behave in a way where -Y (i.e.
22 trusting all and everything) has improvements...
23
24 More to the OP: In any way, be sure to learn about the security
25 problems that are related to forwarding X connections.
26
27 -hwh
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list