From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: X11 from another machine
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 18:33:33
1 On 2007-05-21, Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Mon, 21 May 2007 17:22:39 +0000 (UTC) Grant Edwards
5 ><grante@××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 >> > However, the usual way to use remote X-based programs is just to let
8 >> > SSH do that. It can provide a tunnel for X. This is especially easy
9 >> > if the remote SSH server daemon has set its "X11Forwarding"
10 >> > configuration setting set to "yes" (otherwise, it is really a bit
11 >> > harder and not suggested). Then, you just would connect using "ssh
12 >> > -X user@host" and that's it, SSH will care for creating a socket on
13 >> > the remote machine and set the DISPLAY variable accordingly.
14 >>
15 >> NB: I've found that using -Y instead of -X can speed up some
16 >> applications by a factor of 50 or more.
17 >
18 > well, I don't doubt you did experience it, but it sounds quite
19 > unlikely (or like a bug). To be a bit picky: How did you
20 > measure that factor?
21
22 With a stopwatch. I timed how long the initial window took to
23 draw, how long it took to redraw after an expose event, how
24 long a dialog box took to appear, etc. Using -X, the times
25 were 1-2 minutes. Using -Y, they were was 1-3 seconds.
26
27 This was through a 1Mbps link with about 40ms of latency.
28
29 > But you're right: In fact, some applications will probably work better
30 > in "trusted" mode (see "ForwardX11" in ssh_config(5)). However, usually
31 > applications are not supposed to behave in a way where -Y (i.e.
32 > trusting all and everything) has improvements...
33
34 It made a big difference on all apps I tested, and a _huge_
35 difference on GTK apps. The improvement on GTK apps was
36 probably 10X the improvement for Motif or Athena apps.
39 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I just heard the
40 at SEVENTIES were over!! And
41 visi.com I was just getting in touch
42 with my LEISURE SUIT!!
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list