From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FLAC to mp3 converters?
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 18:00:30
1 IIRC, there is a fuse filesystem in portage that does exactly that. I
2 don't have any experience with it but it warrants a look.
3
4 On 11/5/08, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 >> On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:12:44 -0200, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> I wouldn't trust something GUI-based; it would probably call the mp3
9 >>> encoder with suboptimal default settings.
10 >>
11 >> Any decent program would let you adjust the MP3 settings.
12 > My experience so far is that most GUI multimedia-encoding programs
13 > offer far less options than a command-line program. Sometimes the only
14 > choice is codec and bitrate, and the bitrate sometimes comes in a
15 > drop-down menu of "low", "medium", "high".
16 >
17 > I have done many video encodings with mplayer, and in this case
18 > adjusting settings yield drastic benefits to quality/bitrate.
19 >
20 >> You also need to extract the ID3 tags from the FLAC file and then write
21 >> them to the MP3 file.
22 > I don't care about these, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to
23 > preserve them.