From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FLAC to mp3 converters?
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:50:49
1 On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:12:44 -0200, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
3 >
4 >> I wouldn't trust something GUI-based; it would probably call the mp3
5 >> encoder with suboptimal default settings.
6 >
7 > Any decent program would let you adjust the MP3 settings.
8 My experience so far is that most GUI multimedia-encoding programs
9 offer far less options than a command-line program. Sometimes the only
10 choice is codec and bitrate, and the bitrate sometimes comes in a
11 drop-down menu of "low", "medium", "high".
12
13 I have done many video encodings with mplayer, and in this case
14 adjusting settings yield drastic benefits to quality/bitrate.
15
16 > You also need to extract the ID3 tags from the FLAC file and then write
17 > them to the MP3 file.
18 I don't care about these, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to
19 preserve them.