From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Gnome3
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:05:31
1 On Sun, 2012-06-17 at 04:00 -0500, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On 06/16/2012 12:01 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 > >> BTW, using GNOME 3 for more than one year in my laptop and desktop,
5 > >> and I love it. I also want a tablet with it.
6 > >
7 > > Are you using any of the extensions Linus was discussing?
8 >
9 > I'm using the "Remove Accessibility Extension", so the accessibility
10 > icon doesn't appear in the top bar; the "Auto Move Windows Extension",
11 > so Emacs is always in virtual desktop 1, Chrome in virtual desktop 2,
12 > etc.; and the "Weather indicator Extension", to know that it's
13 > raining. That's all the extensions I'm using; in my desktop I also use
14 > "Alternative Status Menu Extension" to be able to hibernate (suspend
15 > to disk) it: I can suspend to RAM just fine, but I like to save power.
16 >
17 > I don't remember the extensions Linus mentioned.
18 >
19 > > I'm using
20 > > gnome3 in fallback mode because most of my machines are too old to
21 > > have the hardware needed to run ghome-shell. I haven't tried any
22 > > gnome3 extensions yet on my one new machine that will run gnome-shell.
23 >
24 > I have an nvidia card in my desktop, with the nouveau drivers. My
25 > laptop uses a simple intel card; but run the full GNOME experience; I
26 > actually don't like the fall back mode.
27 >
28 > Regards.
29
30 The weather extension I am using is very inaccurate - if it says rain,
31 it could have at some point a few daya ago ... or in the future ... hard
32 to tell (for Western Australia). There is no weather map/radar map. At
33 least gnome2 displayed the metar data from the airport which is spot on.
34 This almost seems like a different location (though its actually common
35 for overseas sources of local weather data to be really way off - my
36 samsung galaxy phone is similar, and prior to that the apps on a nokia
37 n900 ... same).
38
39 The fonts are really screwed up - I have two gnome 3 systems, one after
40 trying to follow a few guides just looks crappy but I can read them, the
41 other (crt, not lcd) keeps getting corrupted (almost looks like it is
42 selecting wingdings or a chinese glyph font) so you have to log out/in
43 to be able to read things - nothing else seems to work. Sometimes its
44 the titlebars or just desktop icon titles, other times the panels in
45 evolution and firefox, or everything.
46
47 Its quite unreliable on both systems, dropping dead (restarting X) or
48 requiring logging out/in or manually restarting X from a console to get
49 control at least once a day.
50
51 Then there is the new workflow model ... its crap! The unbuntu folks at
52 work have been wrestling with it longer than me and seem lukewarm on the
53 whole thing even after having plenty of time to get used to it. Then
54 there is the constant jibes from the windows users - at least when win8
55 comes out I'll be able to laugh back at them (or is it cry along with
56 them :)
57
58 I am trying to persevere as its the "coming thing" ... that is, I
59 thought it would be until I tried it and realised its just a bad dream.
60 A lot of problems (lack of stability) are obviously bugs and will be
61 fixed. The crappy extensions, ditto when someone gets around making
62 real ones instead of hacks to quickly fill the holes left by not having
63 any functionality built in (by the way, having an extension to restart
64 the shell because it gets corrupted is a prime example of whats wrong
65 with gnome at the moment :( The extension installation via a browser
66 looks good until you start to think of the security implications ... it
67 feels very "apple-ish" in a bad kind of way - giving up control to a
68 third party you dont really know/trust.
69
70 BillK