From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Qustions re Dell M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drives under Gentoo
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 21:27:29
1 On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 09:13:40AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote
2
3 > I don't know what happened between last year and now, but Dell's
4 > XPS8940's now all seem to come with NVME (expensive) and fancy-shmancy
5 > Nvidia (i.e expensive) video. Also, reading the specs on the website
6 > *V-E-R-R-R-R-Y* carefully, I see that the XPS machines come mostly with
7 > *ONLY* 256 or 512 gig solid state drives; no SATA drive. On the other
8 > hand a $600 CAD (on sale) Inspiron desktop with...
9 >
10 > * 10th Gen Intel® Core# i5-10400 processor
11 > * Intel® UHD Graphics 630 with shared graphics memory
12 > * 12GB ram
13 > * 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD
14 >
15 > ...looks very attractive. I'm not a gamer so supper speed isn't an
16 > issue. I also vaguely remember years ago having to build in binary
17 > modules into the kernel for Nvidia video. This meant I couldn't upgrade
18 > to the latest kernel until Nvidia came out with the appropriate binary
19 > video driver. Is that still a thing?
20
21 Thanks for everybody's replies. While NVME seems to be OK (and fast),
22 the 512 G disk space limitation is a potential issue. How much do
23 1-terabyte SSD's cost? I've ordered the Inspiron above. At CAD $600+tax
24 how can you lose?
25
26 8 G ram on the older machine was more than enough, so 12 G should last
27 for a while. I'm looking at home use, email, large spreadsheets, some
28 convoluted bash scripting, web-surfing, and streaming including Netflix
29 (720p) and Youtube (1080p), etc. My next machine after this one will
30 probably have NVME, by which time the cost of a 1-terabyte SSD will have
31 hopefully come down to something reasonable.
34 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
35 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications