From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Qustions re Dell M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drives under Gentoo
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 13:13:48
1 On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 06:11:51PM -0600, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote
2 > On 5/27/21 3:05 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > It was nice to have a newer "hot backup" (XPS8940) to switch over to
4 > > quickly when an older machine started locking up occasionally. Now I
5 > > need a "hot backup" for the newer machine that I ordered last October.
6 > > Dell Inspirons seem to top out at 12 gigs ram, so I'm looking for an XPS
7 > > model in order to get more ram as the bloating of linux continues. All
8 > > current XPS models seem to have 256G or 512G M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State
9 > > drives in the base configuration. Questions...
10 > >
11 > > * do NVMe drives function well under Gentoo (driver issues, etc)?
12 > >
13 > > * how long do they hold up (wear and tear)?
14 > >
15 > > * can I simply disable them if I run into problems?
16 > >
17 > > If someone can suggest an alternate supplier to Dell, that ships to
18 > > greater Toronto, at similar prices, I'd be willing to take a look at
19 > > them.
20 >
21 > Checking out XPS8940 (about 1799.00CAD) it seems to me expensive. They did not mention if the NVME is Gen. 3 or Gen. 4
22
23 I don't know what happened between last year and now, but Dell's
24 XPS8940's now all seem to come with NVME (expensive) and fancy-shmancy
25 Nvidia (i.e expensive) video. Also, reading the specs on the website
26 *V-E-R-R-R-R-Y* carefully, I see that the XPS machines come mostly with
27 *ONLY* 256 or 512 gig solid state drives; no SATA drive. On the other
28 hand a $600 CAD (on sale) Inspiron desktop with...
29
30 * 10th Gen Intel® Core# i5-10400 processor
31 * Intel® UHD Graphics 630 with shared graphics memory
32 * 12GB ram
33 * 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD
34
35 ...looks very attractive. I'm not a gamer so supper speed isn't an
36 issue. I also vaguely remember years ago having to build in binary
37 modules into the kernel for Nvidia video. This meant I couldn't upgrade
38 to the latest kernel until Nvidia came out with the appropriate binary
39 video driver. Is that still a thing?
42 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
43 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications