From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Another X11 problem
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 09:35:47
1 On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > Once or twice per week, when I start X11 (via the startx program), my
4 > display goes all black. When it happens there is no way back to a
5 > working state: I can see that Xorg is running, I can exit it by hitting
6 > Ctl-Alt-Backspace, but even then display does not recover. The only
7 > thing I can do is hit Ctl-Alt-Del blindly and reboot, and next time it
8 > usually works.
9 >
10 > I did a diff of the Xorg logfile for successful and failed runs, and
11 > they are identical except for some trivial device renumbering. Clearly
12 > there is no segfault as in the other scenario recently discussed on the
13 > list. It is also not a monitor problem: turning monitor on & off
14 > doesn't help.
17 Have you checked dmesg and syslogs for messages?
18
19 Try a newer kernel and see if it goes away.