From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is there a way to misconfigure USB ports in the kernel?
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 00:10:32
1 On Wednesday, 25 November 2020 17:37:15 GMT Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > since my old 64 GB Verbatim USB sticks became too small, I bought two
5 > new 128 GB Philips sticks. Because I need to read and write them on
6 > both, a stand-alone Windows laptop (not connected to the internet) runn-
7 > ing Windows Vista and Cygwin and my Gentoo laptop, I encrypted them with
8 > old TrueCrypt on the Windows box, using them under Gentoo in TrueCrypt
9 > compatibility mode.
10 >
11 > This worked well with the Verbatim USB sticks (which probably are USB
12 > 2.0), but while reading the new USB 3.0 Philips USB sticks is signific-
13 > antly faster than reading the old Verbatim USB sticks, writing to them
14 > is slow as hell under Gentoo. And writing to the Philips USB sticks on
15 > the old Vista laptop with USB 2.0 ports clearly outperforms writing to
16 > them using the Gentoo laptop's USB 3.0 ports.
17 >
18 > This could be a problem with TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt or with somehow miscon-
19 > figured USB ports. To check for the latter I provide below all kernel
20 > configuration variables I regard USB related in the hope that some know-
21 > ledgable people might find a glitch in there:
22
23 Check dmesg to see if initialisation of the USB 3.0 drive throws up any
24 errors. Then check 'lsusb -t' to make sure it has been recognised as a USB
25 3.0.
26
27 If write operations without TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt are equally slow, then
28 obviously the problem is not with encryption.
29
30 I've read in a number of articles the erase block size on most USB flash
31 (NAND) is 128KB, which incurs a lot of operations on a write, when using Linux
32 with its 4K size sectors. Partitioning the USB drive to use 128KB sectors and
33 then aligning the fs on it should improve matters.
34
35 I found this article which mentions an experiment with ext4 fs. A more
36 effective search should hopefully bring up examples on FAT fs.
37
38 HTH.