From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Palemoon again - again
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 17:06:25
1 On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 02:18:16PM +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote
2 > On Monday 17 Apr 2017 13:41:45 I wrote:
3 >
4 > > You see it couldn't even find a rule to make the object files. I tried
5 > > setting MAKEOPTS="-j 1" to override the --jobs=24 that I usually have set,
6 > > but that just changed the logged error, substituting 1 for 24.
7 > >
8 > > Does this ring a bell with anyone? I wanted to look for clues in the make
9 > > file, but /usr/bin/find returns well over 1000 results.
10 >
11 > Well, I made it work by setting MAKEOPTS="" on the command line, but it
12 > seems odd that portage's compiler settings are being misinterpreted this
13 > way.
14
15 A couple of things to note, which also apply to building Firefox
16
17 1) When using the Palemoon overlay, I found that USE="optimize" turns
18 off Gentoo's optimization, and replaces it with limited "optimization"
19 by the mozconfig. If you're going to build it, I recommend
20 USE="-optimize"
21
22 2) USE="-system-libs" is recommended. Yes, this does make the binary
23 slightly larger. But it avoids problems where changing API/ABI in the
24 system lib causes subtle problems for the program. It may also reduce
25 dependancies pulled in, depending on what your other programs have
26 pulled in.
27
28 Consider taking the easy way out, and installing it locally from the
29 tarball, e.g...
30
31 * download the tarball from http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/
32
33 * mkdir $HOME/pm
34
35 * tar -C $HOME/pm -xvjf palemoon.*.bz2
36
37 *THE ENTIRE PROGRAM* is contained in the directory $HOME/pm/palemoon/
38 Extracting the tarball does *NOT* splatter libraries all over the place.
39 "Uninstalling" consists of "rm -rf $HOME/pm/palemoon". The executable
40 file will be $HOME/pm/palemoon/palemoon
41
42 One more hint for graphics acceleration, which also applies to Firefox
43
44 * set "layers.acceleration.force-enabled" to true in "about:config"
45 * export MOZ_USE_OMTC=1
46
47 MOZ_USE_OMTC has to be set before launching Pale Moon
50 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
51 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications