From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 18:03:16
1 El Mie, 4 de Febrero de 2009, 18:48, Nikos Chantziaras escribió:
2 > Jesús Guerrero wrote:
3 >
4 >> El Mie, 4 de Febrero de 2009, 14:19, Nikos Chantziaras escribió:
5 >>
6 >>> Sebastián Magrí wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> Also, Gentoo is a great school. If you want to learn how a Linux
10 >>>> system works, and really want to learn about Unix systems, then
11 >>>> Gentoo is the
12 >>>> best for you.
13 >>> I don't get that argument. I didn't learn how Linux or Unix works
14 >>> with Gentoo. I didn't even find my prior knowledge of Unix and Linux
15 >>> of much use either. Typing "emerge package" and "dispatch-conf"
16 >>> doesn't offer me much knowledge. It's as simple as Debian in this
17 >>> regard.
18 >>>
19 >>> If I wanted a "learn Unix" distro, I would be using Slackware :P
20 >>>
21 >>
22 >> Gentoo forces you to use linux in the sense that you need to
23 >> do all the work by yourself to install it. What you describe is just the
24 >> regular update/install process, which is simple enough as you said.
25 >
26 > It was very easy for me. The first I came in tough with Gentoo was with
27 > the 2007 DVD. I booted, double clicked the installer icon, clicked "next"
28 > a few times with checking some tickboxes too, and then emerged -e system
29 > and world and the packages I need.
30 >
31 > After that I was asking myself where the difficulty lies many people
32 > refer to when it comes to installing Gentoo.
33 >
34 > Seriously, I didn't learn anything. Maybe CLFAGS and USE flags.
35
36 You used the installer. Which should never be used because
37 it's buggy and crappy, it has caused lots of problems, and
38 for me it spoils the whole gentoo thing because lots of
39 newcomers that use it have nothing but problems. In addition,
40 they don't learn the basic linux stuff we were talking about,
41 and hence, they have problems administering their machines,
42 dealing with packages, mixing software branches, creating
43 overlays, configuring their systems and many more. Problems
44 whose solution they wouldn't need to ask (spamming the lists
45 and forums in the way) if they had used the handbook in first
46 place.
47
48 In my opinion that buggy livecd was in all sense a bad thing
49 and should have never existed.
50
51 Gentoo is installed by hand usually, following the handbook,
52 and not clicking next. Once you read the whole handbook you
53 can have an opinion if a new user would learn a thing or two
54 by using it or not.
55
56 A wouldn't have expected that a brave slacker would choose the
57 graphical installer ;)
60 Jesús Guerrero