From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:48:35
1 Jesús Guerrero wrote:
2 > El Mie, 4 de Febrero de 2009, 14:19, Nikos Chantziaras escribió:
3 >> Sebastián Magrí wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Also, Gentoo is a great school. If you want to learn how a Linux system
6 >>> works, and really want to learn about Unix systems, then Gentoo is the
7 >>> best for you.
8 >> I don't get that argument. I didn't learn how Linux or Unix works with
9 >> Gentoo. I didn't even find my prior knowledge of Unix and Linux of much
10 >> use either. Typing "emerge package" and "dispatch-conf" doesn't offer me
11 >> much knowledge. It's as simple as Debian in this regard.
12 >>
13 >> If I wanted a "learn Unix" distro, I would be using Slackware :P
14 >
15 > Gentoo forces you to use linux in the sense that you need to
16 > do all the work by yourself to install it. What you describe is
17 > just the regular update/install process, which is simple enough
18 > as you said.
19
20 It was very easy for me. The first I came in tough with Gentoo was with
21 the 2007 DVD. I booted, double clicked the installer icon, clicked
22 "next" a few times with checking some tickboxes too, and then emerged -e
23 system and world and the packages I need.
24
25 After that I was asking myself where the difficulty lies many people
26 refer to when it comes to installing Gentoo.
27
28 Seriously, I didn't learn anything. Maybe CLFAGS and USE flags.