From: Antoine <melser.anton@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is a wiki what I'm after?
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 18:19:16
1 On 12/11/05, Chris White <chriswhite@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 12 November 2005 18:17, Jimmy Rosen wrote:
3 > > However, I haven't found a good OCR program yet. That is the major
4 > > hurdle. Searchability is the really important thing. The space saving
5 > > and portability is nice enough though, for the moment.
6 > >
7 > > I heard that Adobe has a windoze only software that can do this
8 > > reasonably well, but I haven't researched it further.
9 >
10 > Not sure about Linux OCR. I know that you can get ScanSoft or Paper Port for
11 > windows. Paper Port is what I hear most people recommend.
12
13 Alas, alac, there is no OSS OCR software even worth installing. They
14 are all rubbish. Abbyy has version 6 of Finereader under linux but it
15 is only the server version and costs an arm and a leg. I have looked
16 high and low, as it is what I do for work and pretty much the only
17 reason I can't get linux into our scanning operation (it would be nice
18 to have drivers for production-scale scanners but at least on the OCR
19 machines would be a start...).
20 Sorry!
21 Antoine
22 ps. I would be keen to work on a project (as long as the boss didn't
23 find out!) that works towards having a decent home a to z CMS
24 system...
27 This is where I should put some witty comment.
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list