From: Jonathan Wright <mail@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network collisions
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 11:44:45
1 Dave Oxley wrote:
2 > Ah right. I did not know that!
3 >
4 > Yeah, its a hub. I'll stop trying to set it to full duplex now. I still
5 > have a problem though, the collision rate is 11-12% when copying to the
6 > client and the performance is terrible:
7 > Copying from Server to Client (i.e. receive) 170.3Kb/sec
8 > Copying from Client to Server (i.e. transmit) 7.383Mb/sec
9 >
10 > It is 40 times quicker in one direction than the other. Can you give me
11 > a hint where to go from here.
12
13 Some hubs don't like having different sets of ports and it's a repeater,
14 not an 'intelligent' routing system. If you're going to try and set the
15 cards to FD you may want to try disconnecting them all and connecting
16 them all one at a time once you have forced the card to FD.
17
18 Admitidly, I don't know why it would be faster one way than the other.
19 I'm wondering if that's a cable issue (partially damaged cable causing a
20 small capacitance effect). Do you get the same effect when you swap the
21 cables over?
24 Jonathan Wright ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
25 ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
26 --
27 2.6.12-gentoo-r6-djnauk-b2 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
28 up 4 days, 3:12, 3 users, load average: 0.19, 0.36, 0.58
29 --
30 "Homosexuality is God's way of insuring that the truly gifted
31 aren't burdened with children."
32
33 ~ Sam Austin
34 --