From: Dave Oxley <dave@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network collisions
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 11:27:46
1 Ah right. I did not know that!
2
3 Yeah, its a hub. I'll stop trying to set it to full duplex now. I still
4 have a problem though, the collision rate is 11-12% when copying to the
5 client and the performance is terrible:
6 Copying from Server to Client (i.e. receive) 170.3Kb/sec
7 Copying from Client to Server (i.e. transmit) 7.383Mb/sec
8
9 It is 40 times quicker in one direction than the other. Can you give me
10 a hint where to go from here.
11
12 Cheers,
13 Dave.
14
15 kashani wrote:
16
17 > Dave Oxley wrote:
18 >
19 >> Hi Mark,
20 >>
21 >> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I had already tried power
22 >> cycling my hub and it made no difference.
25 > Hubs only support half-duplex which pretty much guarantees
26 > collisions. Is it really a hub or are you just referring to yous
27 > switch as a hub?
28 >
29 > Assuming you have a switch I'd attempt to set full duplex without
30 > turning autoneg off... that sometimes helps. You might also try
31 > emerging the unstable ethtool3 as it supports more cards then the
32 > default ethtool2 and has some bug fixes. Some cards work better with
33 > mii-diag so you might try that as well.
34 >
35 > kashani
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list