From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I eject an audio CD inside Gnome?
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 17:26:31
1 On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 06:47:34PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 13:35 on Saturday 04 June 2011, Indi did opine
3 > thusly:
4 >
5 > > You say OS X is "good enough"
6 > > I say you've got some mighty low standards.
7 >
8 > My manager's predecessor's precedessor's precedessor had the same thing with
9 > SuSE and installed that goddamn piece of shit on 100+ boxes.
10 >
11 > Sure, it all looks neat after first install. Sybase ASE goes on and starts up
12 > real nice as do all sorts of other proprietary (and despoke) apps. Wait 6
13 > months, try do a perfectly reasonable upgrade. Something easy like, say
14 > syslog-ng-1.6 to syslog-ng-3.x. Carnage.
15 >
16 > There's a certain mentality that goes with these New! Improved! Shiny! OSes
17 > and their magic sauce special apps. They only work if you use it exactly as
18 > the vendors thinks - which is necessarily an extremely narrow view.
19 >
20 > /etc ain't broke, I can't understand why SuSE insists on fixing it
23 It's the desire to create something only you can fix, so you get users
24 over a barrel. Windows mentality...
27 caveat utilitor