From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Time-lock USB stick
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:15:37
1 On 03/20/2013 04:47 AM, Michael Hampicke wrote:
2 > Am 20.03.2013 03:58, schrieb Michael Mol:
3 >> Does anybody know of time lock flash drives?
4 >>
5 >> The scenario I'm looking at is to have a drive that's only accessible
6 >> for a certain amount of time after being powered on. It would hold
7 >> crypto keys in a server context.
10 > I am no expert on embedded systems, but couldn't you achieve something
11 > like this by using a small dev board with like an Atmel controller?
12 > Which you then program to act like an USB stick?
15 We discussed using a simple RC timer to cut power to the device after a
16 certain amount of uptime, but if I pointed out that if we were spend the
17 time going to that trouble, we may as well go whole-hog and add built-in
18 encryption and make money off the thing.
19
20 I think the grab-data-and-eject solution is probably the best for our
21 purposes.