From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Time-lock USB stick
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 21:32:38
1 > We discussed using a simple RC timer to cut power to the device after a
2 > certain amount of uptime, but if I pointed out that if we were spend the
3 > time going to that trouble, we may as well go whole-hog and add built-in
4 > encryption and make money off the thing.
5 >
6 > I think the grab-data-and-eject solution is probably the best for our
7 > purposes.
8
9 What about wiping the key.
10
11 I would investigate if a hdparm reset negates that security.
12
13 A long shot that all systems especially likely small ones will have
14 floppies (though there may be a usb one) but using a floppy eject would
15 certainly be one way (ignoring any buffers) as it is 100% mechanical
16 on the enable direction.
17
18 However why not just use a usb with perms set to root. If an attacker
19 can get root which should be the biggest barrier and you are not worried
20 about physical access then even SELINUX/RBAC may not save you.
25
26 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
27 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
28 universal interface'
29
30 (Doug McIlroy)