From: Tom Smith <tom71713-gentoo52478932@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tar over ssh
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:57:35
1 John Jolet wrote:
4 > On Jan 24, 2006, at 11:20 AM, Tom Smith wrote:
5 >
6 >> Jeff wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> Hey guys.
9 >>>
10 >>> I've got this big fat backup server with no space left on the hard
11 >>> drive
12 >>> to store a tar file. I'd like to pipe a tar through ssh, but not sure
13 >>> what the command would be. Something to the effect of:
14 >>>
15 >>> # cat /var/backup | ssh backup.homelan.com 'tar data.info.gz'
16 >>>
17 >>> So that, the data is actually being sent over ssh, and then
18 >>> archived on
19 >>> the destination machine.
20 >>>
21 >>> Help!
22 >>>
23 >>> :-)
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >> Not possible. What you want is more along the lines of AFS, NFS,
27 >> SMB, or
28 >> the like.
31 > WRONG. I do it all the time.
32
33 Ok,. my bad. (Open mouth, insert foot. :-D )
34
35 Being a *nix junkie, I tend to do some things old school--that is, there
36 are specific tools that are (dare I say) more specialized to such a
37 task. You know... SSH = Secure SHell, SCP = Secure CoPy, SFTP = Secure
38 FTP... So I had never really looked into using the "ssh" program for
39 copying files between servers--it's always been more of a telnet-like
40 application for me.
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list