From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout2/openrc question
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 21:56:48
1 On Tuesday 02 February 2010 23:37:33 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 100202 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > The list of benefits from using latest unstable portage is very long.
4 > > Portage is self-contained, unmasking it doesn't contaminate the system
5 > > with legions of other unstable $STUFF
6 >
7 > So why has it continued to be marked 'unstable' for so long ?
8
9 I have no idea. You should ask Zac.
10
11 There's an entry in packages.mask about wanting user test feedback, that
12 doesn't say much. It especially says nothing about the quality of the stable
13 vs unstable code bases
14
15 > My long-standing policy ( > 6 yr ) has been to stick to 'stable'
16 > for all system pkgs, but use 'unstable' for well-supported apps (eg KDE):
17 > I haven't run into a serious problem in all that time.
18
19 I can't think of an app that is better supported in Gentoo than portage.
22 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com