From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout2/openrc question
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 00:09:40
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 02 February 2010 23:37:33 Philip Webb wrote:
3 >
4 >> 100202 Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> The list of benefits from using latest unstable portage is very long.
7 >>> Portage is self-contained, unmasking it doesn't contaminate the system
8 >>> with legions of other unstable $STUFF
9 >>>
10 >> So why has it continued to be marked 'unstable' for so long ?
13 > I have no idea. You should ask Zac.
14 >
15 > There's an entry in packages.mask about wanting user test feedback, that
16 > doesn't say much. It especially says nothing about the quality of the stable
17 > vs unstable code bases
21 I read on -dev that they want the older version tested more. I'm not
22 sure why since it seems most people have just unmasked the newer version
23 and moved on. It's not like the older version is better or anything. ;-)
24
25 In my opinion, the old portage was good, the new one is even better.
26 Now if the next version will prevent a person from borking their system,
27 that would be heaven. lol You know, unmerge python and see what
28 happens. Yes, you can still unmerge python, even the only version you
29 have left, and portage not say a darn thing. It kills the heck out of
30 portage tho.
31
32 Dale
33