From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to rebuild gentoo on a somewhat different hardware
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:12:42
1 On 11/17/10 00:01:15, Adam Carter wrote:
2 > > I have an up-to-date ~amd64 GenToo installation with has been
3 > > built on a current AMD64 (Phenom II) machine where I used
4 > > -mtune=native in etc/make.conf since I didn't think of the case
5 > > that I would need to port this system to a somewhat older Opteron
6 > > based machine (still AMD64)
7 > >
8 > > But after cloning the system, some fundamental utilities die of
9 > > an illegal instruction.
12 > Did you have -march set? If so, what to?
13 >
14 > If -march is unset, then AFAIK your binaries should run on any amd64
15 > machine. If you have it set to native, then your binaries will only
16 > run on
17 > equal or greater hardware than what it was built on.
18
19 Thanks Alan. I knew that, but then I inherited an somewhat older
20 Opteron machine and I wasn't aware that this one had a different
21 instruction set then current Opterons.
22
23 Helmut.
29 Helmut Jarausch
30 Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik