From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to rebuild gentoo on a somewhat different hardware
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 23:02:17
1 > I have an up-to-date ~amd64 GenToo installation with has been
2 > built on a current AMD64 (Phenom II) machine where I used
3 > -mtune=native in etc/make.conf since I didn't think of the case
4 > that I would need to port this system to a somewhat older Opteron
5 > based machine (still AMD64)
6 >
7 > But after cloning the system, some fundamental utilities die of
8 > an illegal instruction.
11 Did you have -march set? If so, what to?
12
13 If -march is unset, then AFAIK your binaries should run on any amd64
14 machine. If you have it set to native, then your binaries will only run on
15 equal or greater hardware than what it was built on.