From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Need a new server
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 06:50:09
1 >> Instead, how about a 6-drive RAID 10 array with no hot spare? My
2 >> guess is this would mean much greater fault-tolerance both overall and
3 >> during the rebuild process (once a new drive is swapped in). That
4 >> would mean not only potentially increased uptime but decreased
5 >> monitoring responsibility.
6 >
7 > RAID10 with six drives can be implemented one of two ways,
8 >
9 > Type 1: A B A B A B
10 >
11 > Type 2: A B C A B C
12 >
13 > If your controller can do Type 1, then going with six drives gives you
14 > better fault tolerance than four with a hot spare.
15 >
16 > I've only ever seen Type 2, so I would bet that's what your controller
17 > will do. It's easy to check: set up RAID10 with four drives, then with
18 > six. Did the drive get bigger? If so, it's Type 2.
19 >
20 > If it's Type 2, then four drives with a spare is equally tolerant.
21 > Slightly better, even, if you take into account the reduced probability
22 > of 2/5 of the drives failing compared to 2/6.
23
24 Thank you very much for this info. I had no idea. Is there another
25 label for these RAID types besides "Type 1" and "Type 2"? I can't
26 find reference to those designations via Google.
27
28 - Grant