From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Need a new server
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 13:11:14
1 On 09/16/2013 02:49 AM, Grant wrote:
2 >>
3 >> If it's Type 2, then four drives with a spare is equally tolerant.
4 >> Slightly better, even, if you take into account the reduced probability
5 >> of 2/5 of the drives failing compared to 2/6.
6 >
7 > Thank you very much for this info. I had no idea. Is there another
8 > label for these RAID types besides "Type 1" and "Type 2"? I can't
9 > find reference to those designations via Google.
10
11 Nothing standard. RAID 10 pretty intuitively comes from RAID 1+0, which
12 can be read aloud to figure out what it means: "RAID 1, plus RAID 0,"
13 i.e. you do RAID 1, then stripe (RAID 0) the result.
14
15 The trick is that RAID 1 can refer to either mirroring (2-way) or
16 multi-mirroring (3-way) [1]. In the end, the designation is the same:
17 RAID 1. So if you stripe either of them, you wind up with RAID 10. In
18 other words, "RAID 10" doesn't tell you which one you're going to get.
19
20 If I ever find a controller that will do multi-mirroring + RAID 0, I'll
21 let you know what they call it =)
24 [1] http://www.snia.org/tech_activities/standards/curr_standards/ddf