From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Need a new server
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 06:43:32
1 >>> If it's Type 2, then four drives with a spare is equally tolerant.
2 >>> Slightly better, even, if you take into account the reduced probability
3 >>> of 2/5 of the drives failing compared to 2/6.
4 >>
5 >> Thank you very much for this info. I had no idea. Is there another
6 >> label for these RAID types besides "Type 1" and "Type 2"? I can't
7 >> find reference to those designations via Google.
8 >
9 > Nothing standard. RAID 10 pretty intuitively comes from RAID 1+0, which
10 > can be read aloud to figure out what it means: "RAID 1, plus RAID 0,"
11 > i.e. you do RAID 1, then stripe (RAID 0) the result.
12 >
13 > The trick is that RAID 1 can refer to either mirroring (2-way) or
14 > multi-mirroring (3-way) [1]. In the end, the designation is the same:
15 > RAID 1. So if you stripe either of them, you wind up with RAID 10. In
16 > other words, "RAID 10" doesn't tell you which one you're going to get.
17 >
18 > If I ever find a controller that will do multi-mirroring + RAID 0, I'll
19 > let you know what they call it =)
20
21 Is multi-mirroring (3-disk RAID1) support without RAID0 common in
22 hardware RAID cards?
23
24 - Grant