From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 14:33:12
1 The 03/01/12, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 20:13, Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr> wrote:
3
4 > > But servers have enough ressources to run udev and any required
5 > > initramfs to mount /usr.
6 >
7 > No, no, no, you got it the wrong way around.
8 >
9 > It's not udev *per se* that I -- as a server admin -- want to get rid of.
10 >
11 > It's the initramfs.
12 >
13 > And I also want to put /usr in a separate partition.
14 >
15 > The problem is that, judging from where udev is going in upstream, we
16 > will be forced to use initramfs, or put /usr in /
17
18 I know. It's the "I want to get the rid of initramfs" thing that looks
19 crazy to me.
20
21 > > As initramfs is a prooven working solution, all distributions I know use
22 > > it either by default or if needed.
23 >
24 > Then again, using initramfs is yet-another-component waiting to break.
25 >
26 > Knowing Murphy's Law, it will one day fuck up everything.
27
28 And the mdev alternative won't follow this law?
31 Nicolas Sebrecht