From: hw <hw@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] EAPI packages
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 14:08:48
1 Rich Freeman schrieb:
2 > On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 08/10/2016 06:54 AM, hw wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Hi,
6 >>>
7 >>> I´m trying to upgrade portage because I´m getting a message that it
8 >>> needs to be able to work with EAPI 6 packages and can only do EAPI 5.
9 >>>
10 >>> I´m running into merge conflicts when trying to update portage, and
11 >>> apparently one of the packages (dev-python/cryptography) I could try
12 >>> to update first to be able to update portage requires a version of
13 >>> portage that can handle EAPI 6 packages.
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> Try the other suggestions first -- but as a last resort -- you can
17 >> always grab a new stage3 that should contain an updated version of
18 >> portage and simply overwrite the portage files on your machine. A
19 >> quickpkg from another Gentoo machine (or the liveCD?) would also work.
22 > A cleaner solution would be to just sync a snapshot of the Gentoo repo
23 > from the past.
24 >
25 > Pick snapshots every few months and emerge -u @system, and repeat that
26 > until you're caught up. The only issue is if it needs to download a
27 > patch that is no longer available.
28 >
29 > In general Gentoo does not support infrequently updating systems. You
30 > don't need to update every day, or even every month. However, when
31 > you're going more than six months at a time without an update you're
32 > almost certain to have problems.
33
34 I infrequently update Gentoo because I´m *always* running into problems
35 like this. 'Infrequently' means about every 3 months at home, and not
36 since, IIRC, 2015-02 here at work. The last update at home got stalled
37 because perl cannot be updated, and I haven´t had the time to look into
38 that to finish it.
39
40 The other reason is that it takes time to update the kernel when a new
41 one comes along, so updating like every week is not feasible. And I
42 don´t want to reboot all the time.
43
44 Besides, I don´t want to update too frequently because there may issues
45 with new versions of software.
46
47 If you say that you need to update more frequently than every 3 months
48 for not to have problems with the update process itself, I can only
49 conclude that Gentoo is entirely unsuited for servers --- and for home
50 use as well other than for test machines perhaps.
51
52 > EAPI6 support was available in stable portage in Jan 2016. The
53 > version of portage you're running predates the git migration which was
54 > a year ago, but fortunately by not a whole lot more than that.
55 >
56 > Here is a guide:
57 > cd /usr
58 > mv portage portage-old # for safekeeping - you can go
59 > back to rsync later if you want
60 > mkdir portage
61 > cd portage
62 > git clone --no-checkout https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo.git .
63 > git checkout 56bd759df1d0c750a065b8c845e93d5dfa6b549d # Aug 8 2015
64 > emerge -u @system
65 > git checkout 1e65133983f404ea64079df0933dd820619a9b44 # Nov 1 2015
66 > emerge -u @system
67 > git checkout 47b868a553171134807fc949d2b84c2dc31b0477 # Feb 2 2016
68 > emerge -u @system
69 >
70 > By now you're into EAPI6 territory. Hopefully you can get to the
71 > present directly, but I can give you a few more commits if necessary.
72 > I didn't test those out on an old system, so you might still run into
73 > issues. I won't promise that this won't be a bumpy ride.
74 >
75 > When you're done you can swap out portage and portage-old.
76
77 Thanks, I'll have to see next week if this is an option. I might end
78 up setting another server with Centos or Debian instead, despite I
79 don´t like either of them.
80
81 > And try to stay more current with updates...
82
83 I would gladly do that if there weren´t always issues when trying to
84 update a Gentoo installation, and if I had the time to do it.
85
86 > If you really know what
87 > you're doing you can update ancient systems, but it sounds like you
88 > want something that "just works" and on Gentoo this is not something
89 > that just works.
90
91 That machines can be kept up to date without running into weird issues
92 like I always do with Gentoo is a requirement. That probably leaves
93 Debian as the only distribution that could be used when you don´t want
94 to remain in the past too far as you likely would with Centos :(
95
96 That creates a problem because ZFS is somewhat questionable with either,
97 and I don´t trust btrfs to keep the data save yet.