From: Ignas Anikevicius <anikevicius@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Advice Needed: Conexant HD-Audio noisy audio
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 16:31:00
1 Dear all,
2
3 It's been quite a while since I noticed this annoying behaviour, but I
4 could not find any information what might cause this. So the problem is
5 that at lower volumes my HD-Audio with Conexant becomes very noisy and
6 this is regardless of the sound system or speakers/headphones I use.
7
8 The noise can be described, as high pitched, sandy texture noise
9 heard during more expressive parts of the music or speech.
10
11 I experience this on two Thinkpads (x200s and x200) and it very evident
12 when I connected external speakers, they produced a lot of this noise,
13 or maybe I just could hear it better, because of the frequency response
14 of the speakers.
15
16 Does anybody have some similar issues?
17
18 My current audio setup:
19
20 * PulseAudio (but the problem is experienced with ALSA as well)
21 * MPD for music playing
22 * Conexant and other related modules compiled in, power-saving
23 features enabled.
24
25 What I have tried to eliminate the noise:
26
27 * Various levels of Master,PCM,Headphone channels via Alsamixer
28 * Increase the sample rate in MPD settings.
29
30 The noise can be clearly head when I Have the following setting on my
31 Alsamixer:
32
33 * Master ~50
34 * PCM 100
35 * Headphone 100
36
37 Does anybody has any thoughts on why am I experiencing this?
38
39 Thanks a lot,
40 Ignas A.