From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Horrible English
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 15:43:27
1 On Wednesday 10 May 2017 10:11:36 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 10:09:26AM +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote
3 >
4 > > On Tuesday 09 May 2017 14:29:16 Walter Dnes wrote:
5 > > > It's a feature, not a bug. <G> There's a news item being worked on in
6 > > > the Gentoo dev list. I'd normally just link to a mail archive, but
7 > > > it's
8 > > > too new to have been archived yet. Here's a copy of the proposed news
9 > > > item.
10 > >
11 > > (Quoting order changed.)
12 > >
13 > > Sorry, Walter, but I just couldn't let this go. Reading it hurt too
14 > > much.
15 > >
16 > > English grammar has very few hard-and-fast rules, but one is absolutely
17 > > sacrosanct: every verb agrees in number with its subject. If I'd been
18 > > guilty
19 > > of this at school I'd have earned myself a stiff rebuke:
20 > I was merely quoting the post verbatim. Don't shoot the messanger.
21
22 No, I didn't mean to. I know it wasn't your wording.
23
24 > I hereby volunteer you to join the Gentoo-dev list and help clean up the
25 > grammar of the news item.
26
27 :-) I don't think that's a very good idea. I find too often that I don't
28 know when to stop, and I'd hate to make enemies of the entire dev team!
29
30 > It's currently undergoing technical changes, and the draft has changed
31 > somewhat.
32
33 Well, let's hope it's improved in more ways than one...
36 Regards
37 Peter