From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to determine which mobo without opening case
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 14:45:04
1 On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > How can I determine the motherboard make and model?  I mean without
3 > opening the case.
4 >
5 > Various hardware reporting tools such as uhinv and syscriptor do not
6 > give that information (far as I can tell).
7 >
8 > In fact syscriptor cannot even report pci info and gives the message
9 >  `cannot open /proc/pci'
10 >
11 > (not surprising since /proc/pci does not exist)
17 Determining make and model is somewhat difficult to do from software.
18 I know of a very good windows utility that will help you out called
19 SIW. See the link below. As far as linux utilities to read that
20 information, I have limited experience.
21
22 The problem is that SIW only reports what the manufacturers decide to
23 jot down in their hardware. That means if the manufacturer doesn't
24 want you to know, you probably won't.
25
26 As a matter of curiosity, why can't you open the case?
27
28 Regards,
29 D
30