From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Audio Equalizer for a DAC ?
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 00:31:36
1 On 2020-04-18 14:56, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2
3 > Then I installed media-plugins/alsaequal, which installs fine.
4
5 [...]
6
7 > Starting for example 'alsamixer -D equal' results in an error:
8 >
9 > Invalid CTL equal
10 > cannot open mixer: No such file or directory
11 > [1] 5304 exit 1 alsamixer -D equal
12
13 I have used alsaequal for a number of years, and I even wrote some
14 tooling around it. If I remember correctly my work had to do with the
15 fact that on Debian, which I was using at the time, the alsaequal
16 settings had to be per-user and not global due to the permission scheme
17 used for mpd(1). Or maybe the other way around. If you're curious, and
18 lucky, google may still find it.
19
20 Then at some point, and possibly at the point of switching to Gentoo, I
21 started getting an error, and I think it looked just like your error. I
22 traced it down to the guts and it looked like an incompatibility between
23 alsaequal (which was already unmaintained for years at that point) and a
24 change in the LADSPA API. Looked hopeless.
25
26 I played with the idea of a JACK based equalizer just like the
27 suggestions you are getting here, but never really followed through
28 because I only need an equalizer for my personal music listening anyway,
29 so it is natural to do in the music player.
30
31 In any case, alsaequal should be removed from Gentoo. It is broken, and
32 it seems nobody knows how to fix it.
35 Ian