From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Genkernel doesn't work when module loadable support is disabled
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 13:53:02
1 On Friday 01 September 2006 15:29, Xavier MOGHRABI wrote:
2 > Dear all,
3 >
4 > I'm trying to generate a kernel without module. So I've
5 > disabled "Enable loadable module support" option with
6 > genkernel.
7 >
8 > Genkernel compiles well the bzimage but fails after with the
9 > message "ERROR: Failed to compile the "modules" target..."
10 > (look hereunder log).
11 >
12 > Do you know how can I generate my kernel w/o module support
13 > using Genkernel ?
14
15 You don't.
16
17 The entire point of genkernel is to make it easy for newbies to
18 compile a kernel, complete with all needed modules, lvm & raid
19 support if needed, maybe a splash and an initramfs. I suppose
20 you *could* use the correct options to genkernel to do it, but
21 if you are creating a monolithic kernel then you must know what
22 you are doing, so what you want is:
23
24 cd /usr/src/linux
25 make menuconfig && make
26 copy kernel, System.map, .config and whatever else you like to
27 keep to /boot; edit grub.conf
28 reboot
29
30 Using genkernel for this is overkill, much like a bulldozer is
31 overkill for digging one hole to plant a rosebush :-)
34 alan
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list