From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext3 partition dissapeared :(
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 07:57:15
1 On Wednesday 24 January 2007 20:37, jcd wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 > "Everything was fine" mean; I created partition and then formatted it
6 > without any errors or warnings. There are messages from syslog:
7 > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
8 >-- Jan 22 23:43:16 localhost EXT3 FS on sdb1, internal journal
9 > Jan 22 23:43:16 localhost EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered
10 > data mode.
11 > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
12 >-- Then I copied my data to this new partition. I could access this
13 > data from new partition without any problems. Next day:
14
15 OK, so we will assume that the data was written correctly
16
17 > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
18 >-- Jan 23 10:23:46 localhost VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev
19 > sdb1.
20 > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
21 >--
22 >
23 > > It looks like when you moved the data onto the new partition, it
24 > > got written somewhere on the disk. However, the kernel's idea of
25 > > how the partitions are laid out at that time and what fdisk just
26 > > wrote to the disk probably don't agree and the kernel had got it
27 > > wrong.... This does happen when you delete two or more partitions
28 > > and create one large one.
29 >
30 > Why it can happen when replacing two partitions with large one?
31
32 First thing to know, is that the PC has the most insane internal design
33 of any electronic device ever made anywhere in the world at any time,
34 ever. (Well, Thomson aircraft radios are actually worse, but you get
35 the idea...). The result is that not everything makes sense... When the
36 kernel boots, it reads the partition table off disk and knows that the
37 first partition starts at cylinder 0 and the second partition starts at
38 say cylinder 2000. The kernel doesn't update this information when you
39 run fdisk, so if you delete two partitions and create one big one, the
40 kernel can get confused. It's not hard to fix on the PC, but Linux runs
41 on 20 architectures that are not all as crazy as Intel PCs, which might
42 be why this oddity is still there are 15 years. Redhat have a utility
43 called partprobe that gets everything back in sync after using fdisk,
44 but I have yet to find it in Portage
45
46 > I tried gpart with this output:
47 > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
48 >-- #gpart /dev/sdb
49 > Begin scan...
50 > Possible partition(Windows NT/W2K FS), size(40959mb), offset(0mb)
51 > Possible partition(Linux ext2), size(197512mb), offset(40959mb)
52 > End scan.
53
54 [snip]
55
56 According to this you have an ext2/3 partition as the SECOND partition,
57 not the first, and it does not cover the whole disk.
58
59 Are you absolutely sure you pressed "w" in fdisk after creating the
60 partitions? It sure looks to me like your changes were not written to
61 disk. Try mounting /dev/sdb2
62
63 alan
64 --