From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: GRUB2 migration
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 00:20:22
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 >
3 >> I'm waiting on new/more docs myself. I want to know not only how to
4 >> upgrade but how to fix if it pukes on my keyboard. Hopefully other
5 >> than chroot'in in and all. I have a lot of partitions and they are
6 >> on LVM right now. That chroot'in is a pain in the butt. Oh, LOTS
7 >> of stuff in /usr too so it has to be mounted for you to fix grub.
8 > I have what seems to be an unusual solution of that problem. Each of my
9 > boxes has a small, bootable rescue system in its own partition, and of
10 > course its own entry in grub.conf. Its fstab defines all the main-system
11 > partitions so I only have to mount them. Chrooting is as painless as it
12 > can be.
13 >
14 > Recently, since I've banished ~amd64 except in a few cases, I've only
15 > used any of the rescue systems for backing up its main system to a USB
16 > drive.
19 But if you try to boot and the grub menu doesn't come up at all, then
20 what? You can't select to boot anything including the rescue system.
21
22 I want to be able to fix whatever happens. Grub has been good to me so
23 far but I have had a time when after the BIOS was done, I got nothing,
24 nothing at all. That would be something I would want to know how to fix
25 since I can't even boot to get help or search google. If it isn't
26 between my ears, I'm toast. Right now, there is very little grub2
27 between my ears. Sometimes there is very little at all between my
28 ears. lol
29
30 Dale
31
35 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!