From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: GRUB2 migration
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 23:59:00
1 On Friday 06 July 2012 00:20:15 Dale wrote:
2 > Sebastian Pipping wrote:
3 ---->8
4 > > Short version: if it's fear of the unknown with you too, I
5 > > recommend getting to know that beast a little better. You'll
6 > > either end up with many good arguments against it or find out that
7 > > it's better than you expected in the beginning. My guess is the
8 > > latter. Anyway. Give it a try.
9
10 Good advice. I don't intend to go the GRUB2 way though until I have to,
11 simply because GRUB ain't broke so I don't need to fix it.
12
13 ---->8
14 > I'm waiting on new/more docs myself. I want to know not only how to
15 > upgrade but how to fix if it pukes on my keyboard. Hopefully other
16 > than chroot'in in and all. I have a lot of partitions and they are
17 > on LVM right now. That chroot'in is a pain in the butt. Oh, LOTS
18 > of stuff in /usr too so it has to be mounted for you to fix grub.
19
20 I have what seems to be an unusual solution of that problem. Each of my
21 boxes has a small, bootable rescue system in its own partition, and of
22 course its own entry in grub.conf. Its fstab defines all the main-system
23 partitions so I only have to mount them. Chrooting is as painless as it
24 can be.
25
26 Recently, since I've banished ~amd64 except in a few cases, I've only
27 used any of the rescue systems for backing up its main system to a USB
28 drive.
31 Rgds
32 Peter