From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to record memory usage & bandwidth usage?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:22:22
1 On Tuesday 11 Oct 2011 10:48:31 Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > The head honcho of my company just asked me to "plan for migration of
3 > X into the cloud" (where "X" is the online trading server that our
4 > investors used).
5 >
6 > Now, I need to monitor how much RAM is used throughout the day by X,
7 > also how much bandwidth gets eaten by X throughout the day.
8 >
9 > What tools do you recommend?
10 >
11 > Remember: The data will be used for 'post-mortem' analysis, so I don't
12 > need any fancy schmancy presentation. Just raw data, taken every N
13 > seconds.
14
15 I have used mrtg and nagios to capture and monitor both, but you'll have to
16 install and configure them.
17
18 If you're good with perl or python, then some simple script should be able to
19 capture such values and record on a flat file, or even a database.
20 --
21 Regards,
22 Mick