From: Bruno Lustosa <bruno.lists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Howto speed up compilations
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:26:25
1 On 7/18/05, John J. Foster <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > A few weeks ago I read in one of the newgroups a way to greatly decrease
3 > compilation times. The author noted that this was particularly noticable
4 > when working with something like OO. The general jist of it was to
5 > create temporary file system in memory and mount your portage tmpdir
6 > there. For the life of me, I can't find that thread anymore. Does anyone
7 > do something similar to this? Are there noticable gains to be had. I
8 > have an Athlon 2800XP and 1 GB ram.
9
10 I am not sure if this will give a tremendous speedup. Granted, the
11 source files won't need to be read from disk, which is an advantage,
12 however, the file reading time should be very small compared to the
13 time it takes for the compiler to translate the source code into
14 machine code.
15 Also, there's the ammount of memory you will lose, memory that could
16 be used by the compiler. In some cases, gcc can eat very big chunks of
17 memory.
18 And if you use -pipe in your cflags, the gcc output isn't really
19 written to disk during the various stages of compilation. Instead,
20 it's piped through the processes.
21 Well... maybe someone will give you some accurate results.
22 Just my 2c.
25 Bruno Lustosa, aka Lofofora | Email: bruno@×××××××.net
26 Network Administrator/Web Programmer | ICQ: 1406477
27 Rio de Janeiro - Brazil |
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list