From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Howto speed up compilations
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:07:57
1 On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:14:41 -0300, Bruno Lustosa wrote:
2
3 > > A few weeks ago I read in one of the newgroups a way to greatly
4 > > decrease compilation times. The author noted that this was
5 > > particularly noticable when working with something like OO. The
6 > > general jist of it was to create temporary file system in memory and
7 > > mount your portage tmpdir there. For the life of me, I can't find
8 > > that thread anymore. Does anyone do something similar to this? Are
9 > > there noticable gains to be had. I have an Athlon 2800XP and 1 GB ram.
10 >
11 > I am not sure if this will give a tremendous speedup. Granted, the
12 > source files won't need to be read from disk, which is an advantage,
13 > however, the file reading time should be very small compared to the
14 > time it takes for the compiler to translate the source code into
15 > machine code.
16 > Also, there's the ammount of memory you will lose, memory that could
17 > be used by the compiler. In some cases, gcc can eat very big chunks of
18 > memory.
19
20 Not to mention the OOo ebuild needing around 3GB of space in TMPDIR, so
21 this approach would only result in the emerge failing quicker.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Capt'n! The spellchecker kinna take this abuse!