From: Colin <signofzeta@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Howto speed up compilations
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:49:25
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 >On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:14:41 -0300, Bruno Lustosa wrote:
7 >>>A few weeks ago I read in one of the newgroups a way to greatly
8 >>>decrease compilation times. The author noted that this was
9 >>>particularly noticable when working with something like OO. The
10 >>>general jist of it was to create temporary file system in memory and
11 >>>mount your portage tmpdir there. For the life of me, I can't find
12 >>>that thread anymore. Does anyone do something similar to this? Are
13 >>>there noticable gains to be had. I have an Athlon 2800XP and 1 GB ram.
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>I am not sure if this will give a tremendous speedup. Granted, the
17 >>source files won't need to be read from disk, which is an advantage,
18 >>however, the file reading time should be very small compared to the
19 >>time it takes for the compiler to translate the source code into
20 >>machine code.
21 >>Also, there's the ammount of memory you will lose, memory that could
22 >>be used by the compiler. In some cases, gcc can eat very big chunks of
23 >>memory.
27 >Not to mention the OOo ebuild needing around 3GB of space in TMPDIR, so
28 >this approach would only result in the emerge failing quicker.
31 Not if you've got a machine with more than 3 GB of memory. A dual-proc
32 Power Mac G5 can handle up to 8 GB of physical RAM. If you did this
33 trick on one of those, you might see some serious improvement! But with
34 most PC's being limited (by the x86 and motherboard designs) to 2 GB of
35 physical RAM, it wouldn't work with large apps.
36
37 A good suggestion would be to grab some old computers, Gentoo-ize them,
38 network them over 100BaseTX or Gigabit and make a little distcc farm.
39 Plus, you can charge people if they want to come over and rent your
40 computing power. (Virginia Tech does that with their "System X," 1,100
41 dual-2.3GHz-processor XServe G5's.) :-)
42 --
43 Colin
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list