From: james <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: portage directory ownerships?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 13:46:53
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
5 > > Here, all of /etc/portage is root:root
6 > > The tree and all overlays are portage:portage
7
8 > Just to add some confusion to the mix
9
10 <snip>
11
12 Good example and it got me thinking....
13
14 > So some are portage:portage, some are root:root - all use /var/portage
15 > for $PORTDIR so that's not an issue. One of the portage:portage ones is
16 > the one that syncs with the mirrors and acts as an rsync host for the
17 > others, this may or may not be significant.
18
19 I might swith to /var/portage on a new install. Whats the pedantic
20 reasons for for it? On an SSD for speed ? tmpdir? I'm curious, so tell me more.
23 1. So 'the tree' (/usr/portage/) is portage:portage OK.
24
25 2. and /etc/portages is root:root except for distfiles (root:portage) OK.
26
27 3. and /var/lib/layman and subdirs are root:root ???
28 Note, these are the overlays I use but do not hack on.
31 4. and /usr/local/portage is james:james
32 this where I hack on codes that are mostly other overlays that
33 need enhancements or raw codes I am processing into ebuilds.
34
35 5. /usr/local/experimental is james:james
36 where I working on codes that can compile
37 install or be removed without the baggage of portage/ebuilds. It
38 will be for embedded and cluster/cloud/vm movements of binaries
39 to attach directly to the 4.x kernel, dynamically.
40 I'm working on a new build semantic with DAGs, Tup, ninja and CheckInstall
43 So I can ignore (5) in make.conf. But I'm now getting ebuilds installed
44 in /usr/local/portage, I think because of this line in my make.conf::
45
46 PORTDIR_OVERLAY="source /etc/portage/repos.conf/layman.conf"
47 PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
48
49 For goals of 1-5 what are improvements (any and all suggestions) on
50 make.conf I should make? I need to ensure that overlays that I do
51 not modify stay separate for the ebuild I modify. In fact some packages
52 are in both 3 and 4. I use git to seed category 4 so what caveates
53 do I use to ensure that git only seeds categroy 4 packages (ebuilds)once
54 and does not contaminant my 'old school; vim' hackery.
57 I think this is the only change I need::
58 PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage" ==>
59 PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/var/lib/layman"
60
61 Or does layman and git (syncs) know where to place things. I do use
62 'git clone' to seed category 4 packages-->ebuilds and will
63 eventually be use more of git's features to push out updates.
64
65 I just gotta get this straight, consistent and keep things seperate
66 in my mind, because being an old fart, reading lots of codes, sometimes
67 I forget the origins of hacks. (yea yea document the code you old hack)
68
69 All suggestions welcome.
70 TIA,
71 James