From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage directory ownerships?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 07:58:03
1 On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 22:25:15 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > That got me thinking. Everywhere that portage operates or owns
4 > > things, should the ownership not be portage.portage
5 > > and what would the typical permissions be?
6 >
7 > Here, all of /etc/portage is root:root
8 > The tree and all overlays are portage:portage
9
10 Just to add some confusion to the mix
11
12 root@fenchurch: drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3378 Aug 25 08:43 /var/portage
13 root@hactar: drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3378 Aug 25 07:55 /var/portage
14 root@vroomfondel: drwxr-xr-x 168 root root 4096 Aug 25 08:03 /var/portage
15 root@slartibartfast: drwxr-xr-x 1 portage portage 3378 Aug 25 08:05 /var/portage
16 root@lunkwill: drwxr-xr-x 168 portage portage 4096 Aug 25 07:35 /var/portage
17 root@quordlepleen: drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3378 Aug 25 08:04 /var/portage
18
19 So some are portage:portage, some are root:root - all use /var/portage
20 for $PORTDIR so that's not an issue. One of the portage:portage ones is
21 the one that syncs with the mirrors and acts as an rsync host for the
22 others, this may or may not be significant.
23
24 Downloading a portage snapshot shows it all to be owned by
25 portage:portage, so I guess that's as close as we are going to get to a
26 definitive answer.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 If at first you don't succeed, you'll get a lot of free advice from
33 folks who didn't succeed either.