From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] supreme annoyances:
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 08:13:17
1 On Thursday, 22 April 2021 14:42:14 BST Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > A
3 >
4 > I have to wait during boot while DHCP tries to bring up eth0 (cable is
5 > plugged into eth1) and then manually turn off eth0 and turn on eth1 each
6 > time, can't find where this behavior is configured, /etc is a MAZE
7
8 Set a desired metric for the interfaces in your /etc/conf.d/net, following
9 guidance in /usr/share/doc/netifrc-*/net.example.bz2 to change their
10 priorities, or disable with rc-update the interface you have no use for and do
11 not want to have it starting up regularly.
14 > B.
15 >
16 > Everery. Single. Time. I have to run pavucontrol imediately after
17 > launching X11 and force select the working sound config, it used to
18 > always work but on this motherboard it refuses to save this working
19 > setting and forces me to manually do it Every F'ing Time.
20
21 Check your user is a member of the audio group. If you're not using one of
22 the desktop profiles (eselect profile list) then also check the ACLs for /dev/
23 snd/controlC*.
24
25 Check the pavucontrol configuration tab and disable the built-in audio profile
26 corresponding to the audio card you don't want to use (e.g. HDMI) - if this is
27 the setting which you want to change.
28
29 Take a look at ~/.config/pulse and tweak manually the settings you need/want
30 per user, or for system wide settings walk through /etc/pulse/.
31
32 I'm not at a pulse equipped PC at present to dig any deeper, but the above
33 should set you on the right path. This reference page is also useful, in case
34 you're missing something in your setup:
35
36 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PulseAudio
39 > C.
40 >
41 > Now this is a Real Problem, after updating a few days ago, THE GODDAMN
42 > FONTS DO NOT RENDER, in half of the websites I visit with chromium. Rn
43 > there is massive wierdness going on with chromium and glibc
44
45 Chromium is a beast to compile and have stopped using it. In the past I had
46 come across similar bugs, which were fixed on a subsequent version. Using
47 stable versions minimises such problems, but from what I recall didn't do away
48 with hiccups 100% of the time. Alternative browsers may be the way to go, at
49 least temporarily.
52 > D.
53 >
54 > WTF, I just installed sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-5.11.15, rebooted, ran
55 > update again, and now it's unavailable, this is like 3 days.. Updating
56 > kernel sucks because of nvidia drivers. =\
57
58 Vanilla sources are not stable, so they'll drop off the tree when a better/
59 newer minor version shows up.