From: Aaron Clark <ophidian@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install a 64bit system from a 32bit minimal CD
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:04:27
1 Yoav Luft wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > Got myself a new machine, AMD Athlon x2 4000 based, all up and
4 > running, but I have no functional CD writer! Can I use the previously
5 > burnt 2006 minimal x86 cd to install on my x86_64 system?
6 > Or can you think of any other way to install without a burning a new CD?
7
8 It depends. You can install a regular i686 (32bit) system on the Athlon
9 64 chips just fine. if you want to do that, you should be ok with your
10 old minimal CD assuming your hardware is supported by it. If you want
11 to install an x86_64 aka amd64 sytem (64bit) from your 32bit install
12 environment, then you're SOL as the chroot will fail.
13
14 Aaron
15 --
16 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list