From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: ophidian@×××××××××××××××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install a 64bit system from a 32bit minimal CD
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:57:04
1 On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:53:42 -0500
2 Aaron Clark wrote:
3
4 > Yoav Luft wrote:
5 > > Hi all,
6 > > Got myself a new machine, AMD Athlon x2 4000 based, all up and
7 > > running, but I have no functional CD writer! Can I use the
8 > > previously burnt 2006 minimal x86 cd to install on my x86_64 system?
9 > > Or can you think of any other way to install without a burning a
10 > > new CD?
11 >
12 > It depends. You can install a regular i686 (32bit) system on the
13 > Athlon 64 chips just fine. if you want to do that, you should be ok
14 > with your old minimal CD assuming your hardware is supported by it.
15 > If you want to install an x86_64 aka amd64 sytem (64bit) from your
16 > 32bit install environment, then you're SOL as the chroot will fail.
17 >
18 > Aaron
19
20 I too upgraded my hardware from an Athlon to an Athlon X2 and asked
21 about using my 32 bit gentoo system as the base from which to install
22 64 bit gentoo. When queried, the unanimous response from the list
23 is "can't be done -- have to use a CD".
24
25 It seems like it ought to be doable. I anticipated something like
26 download a 64-bit iso,
27 mount it,
28 uncompress/unsqueeze/whatever
29 copy files to the hard drive
30 configure grub/lilo
31 reboot
32 emerge ...
33
34 However conventional wisdom is this won't work. So, yesterday, I
35 booted from the AMD64 LiveCD, saw the LiveCD choke on my video setup
36 and incorrectly mounted partitions, then (on the 4th or 5th try) start
37 giving "NMI watchdog ... LOCKUP" messages. Someone suggested trying
38 the AMD64 Minimal Install CD and, through using it, I can now boot to
39 either a 32 bit or a 64 bit kernel (with different partitions for the
40 32 and 64 bit environments). There's more emerging to do to get X
41 fully built and all my desired applications running, but progress is
42 being made.
43
44 If you'd like (and you're in the US), I'll be glad to send you one of my
45 AMD64 LiveCDs (as I have 2 and neither is happy with my mobo).
46
47 Regards,
48
49 David