From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partition schme question
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 19:15:01
1 Neil Bothwick schrieb:
2 > On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:15:03 -0300, Ale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I am thinking if i will get better performance mounting /var/tmp/
5 >> and/or /usr/portage in other partition.
6 >
7 > I use ext2 for each of these, as it is the fastest filesystem and
8 > journalling isn't needed for filesystems that contain temporary data.
12 Of course, if your system crashes, you have to do an fsck which takes
13 approx. 10s for a filled portage-tree on a 5400rpm HDD and I understand
14 the time it takes increases with the size of the partition, not (or not
15 only) with the number of files on it.
16
17 You should also consider putting them near the beginning of the disk.
18 You can do this by booting a live-CD and use gparted to move your
19 root-partition.