From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partition schme question
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 20:05:00
1 On Tuesday 02 September 2008 21:14:25 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick schrieb:
3 > > On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:15:03 -0300, Ale wrote:
4 > >> I am thinking if i will get better performance mounting /var/tmp/
5 > >> and/or /usr/portage in other partition.
6 > >
7 > > I use ext2 for each of these, as it is the fastest filesystem and
8 > > journalling isn't needed for filesystems that contain temporary data.
9 >
10 > Of course, if your system crashes, you have to do an fsck which takes
11 > approx. 10s for a filled portage-tree on a 5400rpm HDD and I understand
12 > the time it takes increases with the size of the partition, not (or not
13 > only) with the number of files on it.
14
15 It increases with the number of blocks and inodes in use mostly. Which
16 generally does equate to bigger partitions take longer as they have more stuff
17 stored in them
18
19 > You should also consider putting them near the beginning of the disk.
20 > You can do this by booting a live-CD and use gparted to move your
21 > root-partition.
22
23 These days you have absolutely no guarantee that a partition is in the
24 location on the disk where the cylinder numbers imply they should be. Disk
25 manufacturers are free to put the bits of a disk that add up to this mythical
26 thing called a "cylinder" any place they like, as long as the mapping between
27 them is maintained. There is also no way I know of to ask a disk where a
28 specific sector actually resides.
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com